ON TRIAL: Olay Pro-Retinol Eye Treatment
However, I do take note when beauty journalist Nadine Baggott recommends a product. Her channel on You Tube is The Beauty Know It All; her videos are chatty and informative, you feel confident she knows what she’s talking about.
I’m definitely in the market for a new eye cream, I’ve been loving Shiseido Benefiance Wrinkle Resist Eye Cream, but I got a bit of a fright a couple of weeks ago when we had that heavy snow. I do my make up in front of a huge bathroom window, the snow in the garden seemed to bounce a lot of light into the bathroom (my excuse anyway, it’s either that or I’ve aged horribly overnight), because my eyes suddenly looked VERY wrinkled and creased.
I’ve also not used my anti-ageing gadgets for a while so that may have added to the crepiness. Frankly, I was looking for a miracle.
That miracle is retinol, a form a Vitamin A, a proven anti-ager. It helps to speed up skin renewal, reduce the appearance of fine lines and even out skin tone. But, it’s potent and can irritate normal, never mind super sensitive, skin, and possibly make it redden, peel or thin – there’s always a price to pay!
So, when I saw Nadine recommend an eye cream containing retinol AND is safe enough to apply under the lower eyelid, I ran out like a lemming (or should that be lemon?) and bought 3 tubes on sale at Boots, usually £29.99, but now with £10.00 off.
OLAY PRO RETINOL EYE TREATMENT
- It smooths the look of even deep wrinkles in 4 weeks
- Helps increase surface cell turnover, combating the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Intensely hydrates to allow the natural production of collagen
- Plumps up the skin with moisture to visibly smooth the eye area
- Formulated with powerful anti-ageing ingredients, such as Pro-Retinol and Pentapeptides
I’m still unclear if ‘Pro-Retinol’ is actually retinol, or another name for a retinoid – which is a weaker, over the counter retinol based formula.
- I didn’t notice the word #AD on the video; I’m not saying it would’ve changed my mind, but maybe I wouldn’t have been so hasty.
- I watched the video again and looked at the comments, I saw one by someone I know, Mandy from Mirifique Beauty. I probably wouldn’t have bought it after reading this:
How effective can something this gentle be around the eye? I have tried hundreds of eye creams over the years and none do anything very different to any other, other than getting rid of dryness.
Sadly, none get rid of crepiness or tighten up effectively for a 50 + eye. I have tried out the Vichy Retinol cream for around the eye without any irritation.
Good points Mandy!
Anyway, I’m on week two. The cream is a serum/cream hybrid, it applies smoothly and takes a few minutes to dry. I haven’t experienced redness or irritation, although a couple of reviewers on the Boots site have.
I also haven’t noticed any improvement, but it is only week two. I bought three tubes to specifically trial it for at least 3 months, so we’ll see.
Olay Pro-Retinol Eye Treatment 15ml £29.99 on offer (12/3/18) at Boots for £19.99