Botox, fillers and peels are the only viable option when we want to smooth, kill and fill lines. But there is something else we can do to supplement our miracle creams and magic potions if we don’t want to be a slave to the needle and that is the ancient healing art of face massage.
BENEFITS OF FACIAL MASSAGE
- Stimulates blood flow to the face
- Relaxes facial muscles and connective tissue
- Facilitates the removal of toxins
- Brings nutrients to the surface layer of the skin
- Improve skin elasticity
- Oxygenates skin tissues
- Help reduce facial puffiness
Having a facial is wonderfully relaxing, the results are instant, with glowing skin and a brightening and softening of the face. Doing it yourself though, seems like too much of an effort. You start off with good intentions, but then life gets in the way; you can’t remember the technique; the steps are too hard to follow; you can’t find that extra 10 minutes in the day and ultimately, you lose interest.
All the above applies to me, so I’ve had a trawl through the net and have found seven facial massages that although, aren’t too dissimilar the techniques are simple to grasp and the demonstrations are easy to follow – one might be your perfect fit – or maybe a combination of the seven of them to stop you from getting bored. In any case, it can’t hurt to stimulate the facial muscles and improve blood circulation to reap the proven benefits of face massage. Best of all, it’s free! As you know, this anti-ageing lark is expensive.
Before I go through all the different massages and techniques (I’ll publish two a week from September), I’m going to look at facial exercises.
I’ll be honest and say that previously, I’ve never been entirely convinced of the benefits of facial exercises, I always thought that talking would be all the muscle stimulation and ‘exercise’ a face needs. Then of course, I tried CACI Microlift which uses electronic stimulation of muscles and realised that yes, actually it does work. Lifted muscles will create a dramatic change in appearance. Doing it manually would take years though, wouldn’t it?
Enter Eva Fraser. Now, I remember Eva from back in the 80s, I may even have bought her book, because I definitely recall seeing it close up. It’s probably nestled somewhere between the fondue set and my Rubik’s cube. The thing is, at
107 84, she still looks the same!
Muscles of the face can be re-trained like any other muscles to become firmer and strong again. To see the inevitable drooping of your facial contour is no fun, but with a little effort this gradual deterioration need not be. All muscles and that includes the muscles of the face need to be worked in a structured way or they slacken – it’s as simple as that.
With the Eva Fraser method you will improve the structure of your face and dramatically take years off your appearance.
It is effectively Pilates for the face. The action felt very odd. Not painful but I could feel the and stretching as if they had never been used before. To tighten sagging skin under the chin I had to place the pads of my fingers under my chin, pull my bottom jaw and lip over my top teeth then gradually pulse upwards.
With just 10 – 15 minutes of exercising each day
- Nose to mouth lines will lessen
- Upper cheeks will be lifted and fuller
- The jaw line will be firmer
- Eyelids will be stronger and lifted
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
Before doing the facial exercises, you need to do some warm up exercises to make sure you do not strain any muscles.
Choose a time during the day when you can relax and will not be disturbed. Sit quietly, breathing deeply, and feel the tension release from all the muscles in your body.
Start with some neck exercises
- Keeping the spine straight, gently tilt the head forwards and then backwards three times. Keep your jaw relaxed and breathe deeply throughout.
- Then twist your head from side to side to look over your shoulders. Do this three times but do not force the muscles while you are doing it – the movements should be gentle.
- Next lower your right ear towards your right shoulder and hold for a count of five. Repeat on the left and do this exercise three times. Let the weight of your head pull you naturally down, do not force it towards your shoulders.
Now you need to exercise your eyes
- Keeping your head still and using only your eyes, look up as high as you can and hold for a count of five. Then drop your eyes quickly and again hold for a count of five. Repeat three times.
- Keeping your head facing forwards, look to the left and hold for a count of five. Then repeat to the right and perform the whole exercise three times.
- Finally look diagonally up to the left and then diagonally down to the left. Do this exercise three times and then repeat on the right.
You are now ready for your basic workout
EVA FRASER’S INSTANT FACE SAVER TIPS
Eva Fraser’s Facial Workout (Penguin Health Care & Fitness)
Here’s a video of Eva on This Morning from a couple of years back, stay with it and watch Eva demonstrating a couple of techniques, especially the one for crepey eyelids towards the end.
DVD and 74-page paperback book £12.48 Amazon
I have been doing the exercises solidly now for about 2 weeks and have noticed a tightening of my face skin (which seems clearer and smoother). I actually feel as if my muscles have had a good workout after, and, although you have to make time and stick to the regime, the good results and pleasant way you begin to feel about yourself encourage you to continue, even look forward to your workouts.
The dvd looks less than professional but as the exercises are so obviously working I’m not complaining.
A few reviews said how the quality of the dvd wasn’t brilliant, and I agree, but the exercises are good, I have only just started but can really feel the muscles working when doing exercises. the book is a little repetitive – but I guess it’s not meant to be read as a book, just daily exercises.