Ooh, Shut That Pore!

Benefits the POREfessional

Look, if Benefit can make terrible puns, then so can I.

Most, if not all, primers contain silicone. This is because silicone acts as a barrier, it doesn’t let oil or moisture out or, it should be said, air in. It’ll smooth out skin and create a matt surface for foundation.

What the POREfessional does – unlike some primers, is fill in the pores and the areas around it. I’ve used a lot of primers that will just fill in pores, then when you apply your foundation over it, the ‘filled’ pores show through underneath and it’s really hard to shift; it’s as if you’re highlighting the pores.

POREfessional has a pleasant silky texture, you don’t need much which is just as well. I’ve been using a sample (definitely from a beauty box, maybe even Glossybox) which is 7.5ml, the full size product is £22.50 for 22ml, that makes it quite expensive, although to be fair, a little goes a long way. I’m not sure if the Benefit counters provide such generous samples but it’s always worth asking.

It’s lightly coloured, like a really milky tea, so ideal to wear on its own. It’s almost invisible once applied, so this is a great product for men too. I know  some men have huge ones (PORES!) so this will discretely cover them.

One important point, which you learn from the experience of actually using it, is that you must gently dab or pat your foundation on, otherwise you’re shifting the product around underneath and it’s liable to ‘travel’ and then loses its effectiveness.

I know a few women who tend to break out when using primers and I wonder if that’s because the skin is too clogged up with the primer and foundation on top. The silicone locks in not only moisture but will seal in any blemishes and if skin can’t breathe, spots won’t be able to heal as fast.  Just a theory.

I will definitely be purchasing the full size tube after I’ve scraped every last bit of product out of the sample.

Benefit The POREfessional PRO Balm Primer 22ml £24.50

16 Comments

1. February 23, 2013 / 3:23 pm

Really want to try this now x

• February 24, 2013 / 2:05 pm

I wish I tried this one sooner, it had been sitting in my drawer for ages before I finally started to use it. There are so many on the market, it’s great to finally find one that lives up to its promise.

2. February 23, 2013 / 6:18 pm

I wish I could just say those magic words “Ooh, Shut That Pore! ” and they would do as they’re told! 😉

• February 24, 2013 / 2:11 pm

I know how you feel, open pores are so ugly and they ruin your make up. As you get older (gah!), skin stretches and it never ‘pings’ back because of natural loss of elasticity. We can’t actually close pores, no matter what cosmetic houses try to claim, so covering them up is the next best thing!

• February 24, 2013 / 2:17 pm

I agree with you, and like you said in your post, some people also break out with attempts to try and cover them. It happens to be at times as well. Annoying but true!

• February 24, 2013 / 2:18 pm

Beep.. spell check *me

• February 24, 2013 / 2:14 pm

I also love their Lip Plump and their Eye Bright Pencil (expensive!) I’ve been using both products for years, will put up a couple of reviews.

Let me know what else you use from the Benefit range.

• February 24, 2013 / 9:10 pm

I have their high beam, moon beam, that gal primer, bad gal lash and liner pencil, they’re real mascara and a few of their skin care products. Love them all except the bad gal mascara!

• February 26, 2013 / 9:34 am

You ARE a big Benefit fan then! Slightly annoyed that their mascara doesn’t come in brown though, black mascara (& eye liner) makes me look a bit ‘rough’.

What puts me off ‘that gal primer’ is that it’s very pink and I have a lot of natural pink in my skin.

3. February 24, 2013 / 4:03 pm

after reading your post, I’ll be giving benefit a shot =)

• February 24, 2013 / 5:19 pm

Let me know how you get on. I read reviews from women using exactly the same product and they have wildly different views on how it works.

4. February 25, 2013 / 4:58 pm

I wonder how this will work on men’s skin. I don’t wear any make-up but have been using a MAC primer over my moisturiser which seems to work great for oil control and to give me a smoother skin surface. Might give this a go and see how it works for me. Great post! 🙂

• February 25, 2013 / 7:41 pm

Thanks!

Ah, men wearing make up – It should either be really obvious and on purpose ie eye liner (black only please) or so subtle you can’t tell, they just look better. Anything in between, especially foundation, looks very wrong and a bit creepy. Adam Ant is the only man alive who could pile on ‘the works’ and still look good.

Actor Jeremy Renner has worn eye liner in photo shoots and looked gorgeous, but I saw a recent photo of him at an awards bash wearing shed loads of mascara and he looked ridiculous. Men with fair lashes should get them dyed.

I’ve heard good things about Mac Primer but I wonder if the formulation is as light as the Benefit product? It’s very natural looking, certainly worth a try.