Why blondes need make up (UPDATED)

This is just a quick moan about how easy our brunette sisters have it when it comes to going make up free.

When you’re blonde and especially if you’re pale skinned, (and over a ‘certain’ age) you need colour on you face to stop you looking washed out.

Annoyingly, brunettes don’t look anywhere near as bad make up free. I think it might be the eyebrows giving structure to the face.

I don’t know about you, but going without make up, which we all have to do at times, (plus it’s good to give your skin a rest and let it breathe) makes me feel vulnerable and ‘not quite myself’.

Of course, there are also those days when you’re make up free and you’re just doing boring errands and inexplicably, look fresh-faced and gorgeous and no one sees you!

I’d love to hear how you feel on those make up free days or are you one of those women who won’t leave the house with your ‘face on?’

18 Comments

1. February 22, 2013 / 2:56 am

I like having my face on…..i truly have to be having a lazy lazy day to not put makeup on….

• February 22, 2013 / 7:42 pm

Me too, though I rarely wear make up on holiday
      I don’t wear heavy make up, but at the very least, I always wear eye liner and a slick of lip gloss.

2. February 22, 2013 / 12:00 pm

“Annoyingly, brunettes don’t look anywhere near as bad make up free.”

Ridiculous.

• February 22, 2013 / 7:37 pm

Well, they don’t! See the above photos (again). The blondes actually look as if they’re all recovering from a bout of the ‘flu, whereas the brunettes still resemble human beings.

3. February 24, 2013 / 11:15 pm

I have awful skin, I have to wear make up! I wish I could go make up free sometimes, but actually looking at the blonde photos it’s probably for the best that I don’t …

• February 25, 2013 / 11:30 pm

Ditto! Plus my face takes ages to ‘settle’ in the mornings and fall into place. Sounds horrific I know!

4. February 25, 2013 / 10:45 pm

That’s a really amusing post. And it made me feel good about myself (I’m a brunette).

• February 25, 2013 / 11:32 pm

As I’m brunette bashing, can I also say how annoying it is that you lot can easily get a lovely, glossy shine on your hair?

• February 25, 2013 / 11:38 pm

Don’t worry, I have undereye dark circles and I can never leave the house without makeup without people asking me if I’m ok 😉

• February 26, 2013 / 9:40 am

Hurrah! No, I’m joking.

I suddenly developed dark circles under my eyes a few years ago. I use Estee Lauder’s Double Wear concealer, but obviously I’m not applying it properly, too much and it looks cakey, too little and it doesn’t cover them.

Let me know what you use.

• February 28, 2013 / 9:49 pm

I have tried Double Wear couple of years ago. It was really good but I did find it a bit cakey. I use Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection and really like it. It gives great coverage and doesn’t crease. If you’re interested I did a comparison of 9 concealers with photos on my blog. Just type in ‘concealer’ in the search box. 🙂

• 41andcounting
        February 28, 2013 / 1:27 pm

Definitely easier for a brunette – but when we go grey it’s a horrible colour/texture whereas I think blondes have a softer shade and it’s easier to cover I think

5. 41andcounting
    February 28, 2013 / 1:24 pm

As a brunette I can assure you we don’t all look like the photo’s you’ve chosen without our makeup on – I wish! I definitely think it is to do with the eyebrows and lashes though. My friend is super fair and I remember the first time I saw her without makeup – I had to pick my chin up off the floor, she really did look like a totally different (not bad – just different!) person.
    I look really sallow and my dark circles make me look like I’ve been punched so makeup is a must for me. Have just started using the Garnier caffeine anti dark circles which really lightens up the undereye, though I do still use the Esteé Lauder concealer (applied with a brush).

• February 28, 2013 / 3:10 pm

Good to know!

That happens to me too, my eyebrows are very light as well, we looked ‘blanked out’. Although I’m not crazy about this trend for heavy dark eyebrows, it’s too harsh on most people. I still say Kate Winslet is the only blonde alive to get away with those dark brows.

I use the Double Wear as well AND with a brush, I’m not sure how hygienic that wand is plus far too much comes out after just one pump. You have to blend it really quickly as it dries fast , otherwise it tends to clog.

Maybe I’ll give the Garnier roller a go, dark circles are relatively new to me, I need something very light weight to cover them.

6. April 5, 2013 / 11:13 pm

To be fair to the blondes, nearly all the brunettes above are in their 20s compared to the blondes 40/50somethings….on the makeup front I recently read celeb makeup artist Charlotte Tilsbury (on her website) saying how she NEVER lets ANYONE see her without makeup. She wakes up before her husband to rush and put makeup on and get back into bed so he can’t see her which i find incredibly sad.

• April 10, 2013 / 1:29 pm

You’re right, I must find new photos of haggard looking brunettes in their 40s!

Just clicked on her website and it’s a gorgeous layout, crisp and clean, I’m inspired.

I can definitely understand a woman doing that in the first throes of a relationship, but it’s not great when you’re settled/married. I’m surprised she’s so insecure.

Even Kim Kardashian (what IS she famous for again?) is seen out and about without her slap, at least I think it’s her, she’s so pale and washed out compared to her ‘full face’ which is more often beautifully made up as opposed to drag queen-esque.

I think it was Bobbi Brown who said that make up has the ability to either make you look 10 years younger or 15 years older – how true.

• April 10, 2013 / 7:48 pm

haggard brunette watch? Just pop on over to the Mail you’ll be sorted in a nanosecond!

It irks me no end that I actually know who Kim K is – how they’ve been forced unto my consciousness. At least I now know all about contouring so suppose she does serve some purpose.

• April 11, 2013 / 8:05 pm

Oh yes, the Daily Mail, how they love to publish photos of women who have the sheer audacity to not look exactly the same as they did 20 years ago and then helpfully compare photos of then and now.

I’ve seen that scary contour photo! Actually, I think she serves as a useful reminder to always check how you look from behind before you leave the house.